...simply said...






Chinese New Year is getting depressing. No complaints about the ang pows, but it seems to be the only tradition that is withstanding westernisation and the general lost of interest in culture / tradition. CNY now seems to be all about ang pows and a break off work / school. What happened to the joy of visiting relatives and friends, dressing up in traditional gear, coming home to family and bonding? Now it seems everyone can't wait to get back to the comfort of home to ............. sleep.

When international friends ask me about CNY and chinese traditions, I have to dig up memories of my childhood. Now it seems it's only me and my dad who are interested in going visiting. After all, I came home just for CNY.

I predict that when eventually, traditional costumes will be almost impossible to get - or will be modified beyond recognition. CNY will be just a one day holiday. Traditional food will slowly disappear. People will become less bothered to come home for CNY. Decorations will disappear from the streets.

But I am hoping ang pows will disappear when time comes for me to be the giver, not the reciever.

Why do I doubt that will happen.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment

...simply said... is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.