...simply said...






Holiday from Holiday needed

Ok, I'm home and very much in need of a holiday from my holiday.

Spent the last 2 weeks travelling... exploring...

Let my attempt to summarize my Trip to Mt Gambier and Melbourne.

The idea was to spend an Aussie Christmas in Mt Gambier, which is somewhere between a big town and a small city, about 5 hours away from Adelaide city (still in South Australia) and south of Melbourne. The ride there was not too bad, thanks to having PRIVATE transport, i.e. Mark's dad driving as opposed to the ol' bus ride. yuck. Made a few pit stops to check out a swamp / marsh in the middle of nowhere, yet ppl have made it a camping spot. Plenty of flies and bees. Some mating. Had a lettuce-ham-cheese in a roll lunch and of we went on our way, but not before a little off-roading around the swamp. =/

Next stop, a small bar in a town called Donovan or something like that. Mark's mum won $17 at the Pokies!

Just before hitting Mt Gambier, we made a last pit stop to a winery. Very very nice deco & view! I think it was called Rymill, and the emm.. 'wine taster person' was one of the family, according to his name tag.

~~~

The next few days sorta rolled into each other, mainly consisting of playing the card game 'May I?', daiquiries, cocktails and food. The crayfish and sushi lunch was pretty special.

Christmas was definetely special. I am amazed at how generous Mark's parents are. Amongst my Christmas gifts are an Egyptian cotton towel with my name CROSS-STITCHED on it as well as a lovely cream-coloured top fm Mark's parents, heaps of chocolate and a bath set from his sister and cookbooks from Mark (Yes, that is a big enough hint that you want me to cook for you =) ) All that and other stuff. I expected (and would be more than happy with) something small but i got present after present from each person and i was a bit overwhelmed.

Of course, Boxing Day for everyone was a little different and unexpected with the tsunami and all. Spent most of the next few days glued to the tv for any updates and I think we were all a little mesmerized and defienetely shocked but the magnitude of 'a wave'. It's ironic how almost all the countries that were hit were 'poor' countries. At least the silver lining is that it shows that the world CAN unite in a common mission to help these undeserving countries. Kudos to Australia for its generosity!

Amidst the happenings in the world, I managed to down a blenderful of cocktails while playing cards on Boxing Day night. I don't remember much, and I don't think I want to elaborate anyway *blush* but it did include me not being able to sit or stand without flopping, me pissing myself laughing for no apparent reason and me passing out. At least there was no hangover to greet me the next day. *Phew* Well cocktail with irish cream, butterscotch schnapps, milo, milk and vodka and rum was absolutely delicious. I remember THAT!

~~~

On the 30th, we picked up our bags and headed for Shopping Central a.k.a Melbourne. After an unnecessarily long bus + train ride to Melbourne, and a drink with Mark's friend, Simon, we set off on a quest to find the keys to our accomodation. It took about 3 hours cause we arrived at the place we were staying at and then realised that the keys were at a totally different place. Wonderful Pinky's Pizza people held our luggage for us while we trammed around and walked in wrong directions till we finally got the keys then trammed and walked back to our accomodation. Slept very well that night.

New Year's celebration was a bit too unplanned and chaotic. We went to my auntie's husband's cousin's house for a sorta party way out, about 1/2 hrs drive from the city. We were relying on a few other 'kids' to bring us back into the city to watch the fireworks. Had lots to eat and drink, and joked around a lot with my cousin, Mei. However, we were getting a little jumpy as time went on wondering when we were gonna be taken into town. Finally at almost 11, we left the house. They said they would drop us at a train station because that's where they were going to leave 1 car and go into town with just 1 car, which sorta made sense. I thought they'd stop at a station close to town or something when they pulled into the 1st station , which was almost the last stop at the end of the line. Then we had to wait 15 mins on top of that for the train. To add to our lateness, the number of people getting on and off the train slowed the ride even further. Danny and gang as well as my housemate Sofia and family were already there, presumably wondering where i was.

In the end, we got there 5 mins to midnight, but the train station was so packed we could hardly get outside, and me being so *ahem* petite, could hardly see the fireworks. That was my new year's celebration.

We were supposed to catch up with one of Mark's friends after, but there was just this great big mass of people! (Estimate - 400 000 in 1 area) and the phone lines were jammed, so after standing in a smoky spot for about 40 mins, we discovered that that friend had left ages ago. I could not be bothered looking for any one else, so we went walking away from the people looking for a place to have a drink. Finally found a small bar we could sit at called Hairy Canary, and Mark bought me their signature drink, which was a yellowish cocktail with bits of lemon in it. (looked like a hairy canary!)

That was my new year's celebration.

The next few days consisted of A LOT of walking, eating and drinking. (funny how my pants have shrunk?!?!) Discovered that Melbourne has the most diverse food I've ever seen (Israeli food, anyone?) and also that the most interesting / nicest bars / clubs are in the oddest places. Eg of direction to a bar - Go down a narrow, graffiti-covered lane, turn past a rubbish dump (don't forget to hold your nose!), keep walking till you see an insipid excuse for a door. Which will open up to a really fancy place inside. Not what you'd expect.

~~~

Anyway, all good things must come to an end, and now I am HOME AGAIN in peaceful Adelaide, my suitcase 3 items of clothing heavier. In between all that consuming of nutrients and liquid, I managed to squeeze in a little shopping (how could i not!)

To add to my collection, I now have this beautiful green skirt that looks like it has tablecloth sewn to it, a very nice red top and a white flarish skirt. Can't be bothered with explaining in detail, might post up pics if i can be bothered to. (yes, i'm lazy. too tired!)

~~~

After spending about 5 hours cleaning my house ("I go away for 2 weeks and this is what I come home to...... !!"), doing my laundry and attemping to un-green my incredibly green pool (??!!), as well as doing some grocery shopping and cooking dinner (chicken and broccoli soup + Chilli chicken pesto) topped off by a drink with housemate Phil, I am well and truly ready for a nice long snooze in my own bed.


Night folks!


« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment

...simply said... is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.