...simply said...






"Heya Chink"

There you have it, my very first personal encounter with direct racism.

Just walking down to street to my bus stop, minding my own business, when I hear a loud whisper. Directed at me. It came from a fat middle aged guy coming in the opposite direction.

At first I was puzzled - I thought he said '...drink' cause I have been asked to have a drink with some random stranger on the street on a couple of occasions. But usually they hang around for an answer. This one obviously didn't.

By the time I realised what he said (Yes, blur Quin.) , he was too far for me to give him a slap and a kick in the balls.

Somehow, I do not feel as I thought I would. I thought I would be sad / hurt. I am not. I am Chinese and proud of it. Why discriminate me against something I was born to be?? I thought I would find it funny. I don't. I find it incredibly ignorant and annoying, especially in this day and age (and HIS age, for heaven's sake. Grow up!!) . I am also very embarassed. Embarassed on behalf of all my non-Asian friends who are anything but racist but might have to put up with the hostility of victims of racism.

It is quite strange that for the entire past year I have not felt discriminated in any way. In fact, I have not even given it much thought, even though I've heard many of such 'cases'.

But since I've been back, it's as if Adelaide has changed oh-so-slightly since the absense of most uni students during the long summer hols. Yesterday I observered a rather interesting conversation / argument on the bus. Some guy was apparently complaining about the bus service cause the bus was late due to some road works. The bus driver got pissed and that is about the time where I got on the bus. The driver was complaining that all people do is complain. And somewhere down the conversation, told that guy 'Go back to your own country'. To which, he retorted 'I am Australian, I was born in South Australia.....' and really gave it to the bus driver for being racist. (Dumb bus driver! Even I could tell he was Aussie.) In fact, he threatened to tell his boss of his racist comment and get him out of a job.

That was when ignorant ol' me started to wonder about whether ppl really are racist here. Least it sorta prepared me for today.


Warning - There is a piece of fat, white racist trash roaming the streets of Adelaide!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment

...simply said... is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Join the Google Adsense program and learn how to make money online.